View Courses
UCP Changing University

Changing University

Transferring to another institution is a big decision. Before you consider submitting any applications for transfer, ensure that you discuss your situation with your current university such as your personal tutor, academic support services, or welfare support services. They may be able to offer advice, guidance, or options to address your circumstances. You may also want to discuss with them the impact a transfer of institution may have on your current funding, visa or accommodation arrangements.

Before you transfer

If you are a student from another University or provider, contact our Admissions department on 01733 214466 or to discuss studying at UCP.

You are advised to:

  • Explain your decision to your current Course Leader.
  • Book an appointment with Student Support to discuss your options.
  • Seek advice from the providers about their requirements and to ensure that there is a place available for you to study (you may need to reapply through UCAS).
  • Both UCP and your new provider may expect payment of your tuition fees. It is important that you establish what the fee charge will be at your new university or college before you transfer. If you are leaving UCP, the amount of fees we charge will vary. The percentage of the tuition fee that you are charged by UCP depends on when you leave the course: within the first 3 weeks 0%, after week 3 but before week 1 of semester 2 50%, after the start of semester 2 100%.

Transferring your Student Finance

Both your existing and new provider may expect payment of your tuition fees. The amount of fees charged will usually vary depending on when you transfer. It is important that you establish what the fee charge will be at your existing and your new provider before you transfer.

Your maintenance support may be affected if the academic year of the new course you are transferring to have a different duration (e.g. it runs for more years or fewer years than your current course would have done). Student Finance will recalculate your money based on the academic year dates of your new course.

  • You should tell Student Finance that you are transferring.
  • It is important to tell your existing provider that you are transferring.
  • You will need to ask your new provider to submit transfer details to Student Finance, as that does not happen automatically.


Have you changed your mind about what you want to study, or you just think UCP is a better fit? We’re here to help you make that change.

How to transfer to us

Refer to our list of courses and the modules taught Please check that you meet the entry requirements which are listed on the course information pages. If you are unsure as to whether you fulfil the minimum entry criteria for your desired course, please do get in contact with us so that we can help you. You can reach us on or 01733 214466.

All full time transfer applications must be made through UCAS, and the normal deadlines apply. You can download a part time application form from the UCP website.

Can I transfer achieved credit to a UCP course?

Admission with Prior Certified Learning (APCL) relates to learning completed through an earlier course of study. If you have previously completed a course which is relevant to your proposed course, you should make this clear when you apply for admission.

Evidence submitted in support of an APCL claim must meet the following criteria:

  • Validity: You must have met the standard first year entry requirements for the course (such as A-levels or equivalent). The level, content and credit value of your previous studies must match the UCP modules you are seeking exemption for. The evidence should also be clearly related to your own efforts and able to be verified as such. Please take some time to look at the course on our online prospectus, and see the ‘What you’ll study’ section. The content of your current degree needs to be very similar, so please satisfy yourself of your suitability before making a formal request to transfer.
  • Currency: Prior learning must have been gained recently to be of value. Qualifications more than five years old are unlikely to be considered. If the learning is beyond the five-year currency limit, applicants are required to provide evidence of updating of their professional knowledge and practice.
  • Sufficiency: You must provide enough evidence to demonstrate the achievement of the credit being claimed. You will need to provide transcripts or certificates for learning successfully achieved in the previous five years to support your claim.

If you think that you may meet these criteria and would like further guidance on the likelihood of transfer applications being considered for your chosen course, please contact the Admissions Office in the first instance for further information.

How we assess your application

Transfer applicants apply through UCAS. Your application will then be assessed to determine the stage of the degree programme here you can transfer into, based on your previous studies.

Contribution of marks from APCL

Where a student admitted to an undergraduate course with APCL, their result (including the classification of their degree, where relevant) is determined on the basis of the work they have undertaken at UCP. Marks or grades obtained for APCL do not contribute to the algorithm used to determine the classification of an UCP award. UCP award certification indicates if an award has been conferred using APCL credit. Students admitted with credit may not be awarded an Honours Degree unless they have been awarded a minimum of 120 credits of new learning at level 6.


If you transfer to another provider you will need to permanently withdraw from UCP. This is a big decision that should not be taken lightly. UCP may be able to provide you with the support you need to continue with your studies, whether that's changing to a part-time course, or transferring to a university closer to home. Whatever your reasons, allow UCP to help you explore your options.

Please see our webpage Thinking of Leaving UCP? and talk to your current Course Leader and Student Support as soon as you start thinking about leaving UCP.

Things to consider before you transfer

If you’re not happy, or your circumstances have changed, you may be able to transfer to a different university or college to complete your studies. There are a number of things you'll need to research and consider first:

  • Will the university or college you’re interested in accept transfers? Are there spaces on the course you want to join? You should contact the university or college you're interested in to find out if they accept transfers. You may need to reapply through UCAS.
  • Do you meet the entry requirements for the course you want to transfer to? Even if you've already completed some study at UCP, there may also be some specific subject knowledge requirements you'll need to meet (such as an A level in a certain subject).
  • Will you be able to start in the second or third year of a different course? You may be able to transfer directly into the second or third year of a degree course (sometimes referred to as ‘Admission with Credit’ or 'advanced standing'), if you have studied enough similar content elsewhere. This is not always possible, and you'll need to check with the university or college. If you want to join the second or third year, you'll need to enter this on your UCAS application as the point of entry.
  • You'll need to provide details of all the modules you've already studied, and any marks you received – even if you have not completed the year, or have not done as well as you expected.
  • There is no guarantee you'll be able to switch to another course at a different course provider, even if the courses are very similar – even if you apply to start in the second or third year, you may be made an offer to start in the first year. You may still have to complete your year at your previous university or college, as you could be made a conditional offer based on you achieving a certain percentage or grade in your modules.

Please ensure you talk to you Admissions department so that you have all the information necessary to make the right decision. Consider all the implications, including those that are financial which are discussed earlier in this guidance.

University Centre Peterborough currently has 700+ students on over 30 different degree level programmes.


Park Crescent, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE1 4DZ

© 2024.University Centre Peterborough. All rights reserved. Site by i3MEDIA