View Courses
UCP Supporting You Financial Support

Financial Support

Within this page you can find useful information about managing your finances and what financial support is available to you whilst you are at University. If you are struggling financially, please speak to one of our Student Support Team to discuss the support available to you.

Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans

When you study with us, you may be entitled to student finances to help cover the costs of your course (with a tuition fee loan) and help with your costs of living (with a maintenance loan).

  • Please refer to the Fees and Finances section on the website for more information about what you will be entitled to and how student finances work.

Bursary Schemes

University Centre Peterborough offer a variety of bursary schemes to help students make studying more affordable. These include a Low Income Bursary, Care Leaver Bursary, Student Ambassador Bursary and Sports Excellence Bursary.

  • Please refer to the Bursaries section on the website for more information.

Students with children or dependent adults

In addition to a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan, you may also be eligible for one of the following sources of financial help:

The figures above are for students studying in the 2020/21 academic year. Our Student Support team can help advise you on an individual basis so you receive what you are entitled to.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including a long-term health condition, mental health condition and/or specific learning difficulty, eg dyslexia. You must meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010. The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are paid on top of your other student finance. They help you pay the extra costs you may have because of your disability. They don’t have to be repaid. How much you get depends on your individual needs - not your household income. You can get help with the costs of specialist equipment, for example a computer if you need one because of your disability, non-medical helpers, extra travel because of your disability and other disability-related costs of studying.

You may get a new computer if you don’t already have one, or your current one doesn’t meet the required specification. More information will be provided to you if you’re assessed as needing a new computer. You’ll need to pay the first £200, which is the minimum cost that any student is likely to incur when buying a computer.

Money is paid either into your bank account or directly to the organisation providing the service or equipment.

You’ll need to download and fill in a form to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) or to claim back your expenses for the year.

If you are experiencing debt

Whilst at University it may be your first opportunity to develop the life skills that everyone needs to learn and develop in order to manage your finances. It is likely that in some point in your life you will experience some level of debt to your name. If you are struggling to pay for rent, food or you cannot keep up with re-payment it is time to start looking on how to develop your skills and what options you have.

  • If you are experiencing tuition fee debt or student loan debt, you should seek advice from Student Support at in the first instance.
  • If however, you are experiencing debt elsewhere you can get advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Access, Welfare and Hardship Fund

The Access, Welfare and Hardship Fund (AWHF) is a discretionary with primary purpose to relieve financial hardship that might cause a student to leave higher education. The AWHF can provide extra help if you’re in hardship and need extra financial support such as: course or living costs that are not already covered by other forms of financial help - these could be everyday living costs for full time students or course and childcare costs for part time students emergency payments to cover unexpected financial crises or exceptional costs - such as repairs to essential household equipment that could make you considering giving up your course because of this financial problem intervening in cases where a student may be considering leaving higher education because of financial problems.

  • If you are studying at Peterborough or Stamford and require more information on the AWHF please visit the Student Support Centre or contact us via for an application form
  • Students studying at partners institutions, Addict and ESPA should apply directly to their institution.

Withdrawing from your course

Depending on the date of your withdrawal, Student Finance may not pay your full tuition fee liability, so a portion of your fee may be re-invoiced to you to pay back directly to the University.

University Centre Peterborough currently has 700+ students on over 30 different degree level programmes.


Park Crescent, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE1 4DZ

© 2024.University Centre Peterborough. All rights reserved. Site by i3MEDIA